Thursday 21 September 2017

College So Far: Stories From Da Lake

BY: CHRISTIAN HOLMES (@HOLMESYWRITES)


Well friends, it's been awhile. I'm upset at myself for not posting more to this blog in the last month or so. I had a good thing going here! I've more or les have just sat on this bucket of gold. My workload has not really given me the opportunity to keep up with this endeavour. I guess I can't turn tin cans into gold every day? Yeah, yeah, I know… I'm full of myself. Or am I not? That's for you to decide - not me. But as I have quickly learned in the past few weeks… confidence is key! At least, that's what my professors say, and they're journalists working for the top news outlets in the business!


So where do I start? Fuck it, let's start with move-in day. It's only logical, right? Move-in day was more or less a shit show. There was a lot of stuff being moved in and out of my room. Not to mention, it was an early wake up call for my family and I. We literally had to leave at 7:00 am on the Sunday morning after the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor boxing match. I had a really hard time making it out of my bed. I think I had tea bags. Luckily, I had energy to get stuff going! Getting moved-in wasn't totally hard. It was actually pretty easy. It was mostly because I wasn't doing much work. My parents wanted to make sure things were done ‘right’. After that was all done, it was time for the goodbyes. The goodbyes weren't too hard. They sucked but all parties involved knew I would be coming home sooner rather than later.


After my family left, I went out on the prowl and started mingling with people on my floor. I made a lot of friends doing that. Everyone on my floor seems to be pretty cool. We all have similar interests. So it made things easier for us to connect and build friendships. Then I took a leap of faith and started making friends with people on different floors. The next thing I know, I have 40 some odd new numbers on my phone and countless new friends/followers on social media. That was pretty awesome. I wasn't expecting that. At that moment, I knew I made the right choice by going to college at Humber and moving into residence. The RAs reaffirmed that thought with their positive attitudes and helpfulness. The parties were nice too. The parties were very nice actually. But for the sake of my sanity, I'll keep the partying stories for another day.


Anyways, boy do I have a good story (which ends with a good piece of advice) to tell you all before I get into how my first few weeks of classes went. For specific purposes, I'm not going to mention any names. Anyhow, you know how you always got that one college kid that comes back to his old high school for a couple hours and always ends up saying something like, “There are some pretty crazy women in college,” to his minor niner friends? Well, children, that guy is not lying. I can testify to that. There's always that one chick that seems really nice and innocent and shy, but once you start talking to her more, she starts telling you her life story and how she hates everyone that has a penis, a soul and a life to spare. The next thing ya know, she's talking about her fetishes and how she thinks that The Butterfly Effect is an accurate reflection of her life. But than the next day she wants to go to karaoke and sing a song about a rapper talking about his penis. Gentlemen, that's when you know she be cray cray. At that moment, there are two things you can do: 1) Stop listening to your pecker and distance yourself from her for a few days or 2) go to her house the next day and watch Step Brothers. Choose wisely. Choose very, very wisely. There's only so much crazy you can take. Oh ya, if you go to her house and watch Step Brothers, make sure she is not bi-polar, and hope that the next day you won't have to get a no contact order. That's just a piece of advice. ;)


All joking aside, it never hurts to have a crazy person in your life. Just for the love of all things good, if they display signs that they need help, make sure they seek out that help. You can always lend an ear to them and listen to their problems, but just remember motherfuckers, EVEN DR. PHIL SENDS THEM TO THE PROS! Crazy people can make your life a hell of a lot more interesting! And they can also scare the shit out of you too! I guess if you're constipated, it all works out in the end.


Getting back on track, my first few weeks of classes were awesome! Journalism school (aka j-school) is something else! All my professors work in the field. They know what they're doing! Hell, most of them could be my boss one day! They're all really nice and they're great teachers! The unfortunate thing is that they make ya step outside of your comfort zone. Pretty soon, I'm going to have to interview some very intellectual journalists. That is kind of scary, because it's an interview and it's a whole new ballgame. I sometimes feel that I can't have a conversation worthwhile with them, but fuck it, I'm going to try anyway. I guess another thing about j-school is that there is a lot of work involved. I'm either in class or working. This is the first day that I've actually gotten time to myself to do something I want to do. So I thought I may as well take advantage of it!


To finish this off, I just want to say I'm really enjoying college. I love living by the lake. I love being able to fend for myself. It's a new feeling of independence. I miss home, although I went back for a weekend to watch week one of NFL football on my dad's 65 inch TV. I'm looking forward to my future classes. I love the friends I've made, even the crazy one. I miss everyone at home. I live the fact that my roommate is from Guelph and we know a lot of the same people. That's pretty dope.


Anyways this is where I say goodbye.


Until next time, keep your stick on the ice!

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steelers vs. Patriots - A Profitable Ending

BY: CHRISTIAN HOLMES ( @HOLMESYWRITES ) Check out my columns on Last Word On Hockey / Last Word On Sports Steelers tight end Jesse Ja...