Monday 21 August 2017

Going Away To College







BY: CHRISTIAN HOLMES (@HOLMESYWRITES)



Okay, I'm going to say this… I'm not an American Pie, but if Stifler's mom phoned, it doesn't mean I wouldn't answer.


Anyways, in less than a week, I take off for Humber College in Toronto! To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about things. Leaving the ness is never an easy thing for a kid like me that has called Fergus my home for my entire eighteen year life. It's crazy to think that I'm going from small town life to rolling in the six in my metaphorical Impala. It's a HUGE change. I'm not complaining or anything, but it's just like, “Oh shit, fam! This shit is actually going to go down”. It's just like Slash getting back with Axl Rose in Guns N’ Roses, I know it was bound to happen, but when it happens, it's hard to believe. I'm going to miss everything being in walking distance. I'm going to miss the trails and all the beautiful sites around Fergus. Hey, at least I'll be close to the Air Canada Centre and Rogers Centre.


To be honest, I'm looking forward to leaving Fergus and making Toronto my home away from home. There's so much to do in Toronto. Obviously, I'm there to study and trust me, studying comes first, but that doesn't mean I can't take in the city. There's sights to see. There's no way I'm living in Toronto and not seeing a Toronto Marlies game. Plus, I guess there's other things to do in Toronto rather than just going to sporting events. As the trendies like to say, “it's going to be lit!”


But then I take a step back and realize how much shit I've been through to make it here. To put myself in a position where college is actually an attainable idea. It's fair to say there were a lot of obstacles to overcome. My health being one of the biggest ones. It's crazy to think after all the time I've missed at school due to multiple illnesses and stuff along those lines that I (A) never failed a year, (B) passed high school as an honours student and © made into college on my first try WITHOUT being rejected acceptance to my program. Like, to me, I'm proud of that. I put a lot of time and effort into making sure that I passed all my classes. That I did what I had to do, although I had to push myself really hard to do a lot of the work because I was in physical agony and pain dealing with my chronic headaches and various other infections. I'm very grateful and lucky to have a great support group to thank for that. I would be screwed without them.


So that's why when I go to college, I really want to maintain my grades, and keep the good work up. Like what motherfucker would slack off in college after being through what I've been through? It wouldn't make sense for me to do something like that. Honestly, I want to do the exact opposite and put the petal to the metal and get that education. I really want to make a great impression and be that guy you want to have in your groups because you know he's going to put out (not in a sexual way). That's what I aspire to do. I want to kick some serious ass and avoid smoking dat grass!


I'm curious to see what the future holds for me at college. I've been told so much good stuff is going to happen throughout college. It's got me excited that's one thing for sure. Obviously, I'm going to have to be way more independent than I'm use to being. I'm not saying I'm a really dependent person now, but I'm always use to having my parents around to assist me when I need help, but now that won't always be the case. And with my disability, that tends to make me a wee bit nervous. I know how to deal with most situations, but there's always that one situation that pops up where I'm like, “What do I do here, mom/dad?” So, I'm going to have to figure that shit out for myself for once. Scary but not too scary. Hell, it's probably more scary for my mom and my dad than it is for me. I know they worry about stuff like that. But eventually my balls gotta drop and I’ve gotta learn to cope with my disability because I know my mom and dad won't always be there to help me out when I need it. Besides, I've always had the tendency to be a go-getter. I guess that's what I got to do now AND FOREVER! Yay, right? I guess only the future will tell!


In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to making new friends and going on new adventures. Apparently, the Lakeshore campus is ‘haunted’, so that'll make for one hell of a ghost walk. I'm really looking forward to making a new club or joining a club. I'm looking forward to getting involved in the school community and putting myself out there. That is one of the things I regret doing in high school is not getting involved as much. So I wish to not do that in college. I want to live life to the fullest before I have to start paying bills and telling my wife to take chill pills! College is a time where you get to enjoy the last bit of your youth before you need to grow up and move out. Gotta make it worthwhile!


To be honest, time is flying by way too fast! I remember graduating elementary school, and that feels like it was yesterday. Now I'm a high school graduate! Where did those four years go? It's almost scary in a way, because it just seems so fast. One moment I'm going to my first Homecoming dance, the next I'm going to my freaking prom. It's amazing to think how fast time is flying. For Pete sakes, I remember standing in the halls in grade nine, and making jokes how I liked my women like my Kool-Aid, sweet and they go down easy. It's like Jesus Christ, where has the time went? The next thing you know, I'll be graduating college and going off into the workforce. Let that sink in for a moment. It gets me so sentimental, and reminds me why I need to live in the moment and stop worrying about the future! My life is passing me by a lot faster then I can anticipate for. God, I sound like a grandparent now. I guess that's why Blink 182 said life's too short to last long?


Obviously, I'm going to miss my home and all the things that I enjoy doing in my castle, but I look forward to becoming the king of Humber and ruling over the peasants, which would be my school work. I know and understand college is going to be a huge change, but I'm looking forward to it! I'm looking forward to becoming more independent and hopefully not becoming anorexic when my meal plan runs out. I'm happy to be where I am. I know I'm super lucky to be in college. I owe it to myself and my family to keep kicking ass and get my education. So one day I can do something special with my life.


I have a feeling that I'm going to be a published author sooner rather than later. Maybe I'll write the story of my life? Or maybe I'll be the next Don Cherry? Who knows? But there's one thing I know for sure, I’M FUCKING PUMPED FOR THE FLOYD MAYWEATHER VS. CONOR MCGREGOR FIGHT! Be sure to check out my MayMac blog! I'll be making a few post in between today and Saturday. My prediction for the fight will be out on Friday!


Anyways, to cap this off, I just want to say a special thank you to all the people that helped me get to this point in my life. Whether it's my mom, my dad, my grandma, or my step dad Paul, I owe a lot to you guys. I owe a lot to my teachers and EAs and the guidance counsellors that worked with me to make sure I had all the tools I needed to succeed. I wouldn't be where I am today without you guys. And I am truly blessed to have you all in my life.


To the ones that read this till the end, thank you and God bless you all. You're the bomb!

Peace, I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steelers vs. Patriots - A Profitable Ending

BY: CHRISTIAN HOLMES ( @HOLMESYWRITES ) Check out my columns on Last Word On Hockey / Last Word On Sports Steelers tight end Jesse Ja...