Monday 20 November 2017

Why I Write

BY: CHRISTIAN HOLMES (@HOLMESYWRITES)



Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." —Dr. Seuss


Why do I write? Well it’s a long story. Let me try to explain.

I’ve always been interested in storytelling. Call me a nerd but I’ve always liked reading. I find how authors use their words to be interesting. I think it’s cool to see someone like Stephen King or George Martin differentiate themselves with their writing styles. You can honestly learn a lot from “book reading”. Being “book learnt” is enlightening. Of course, there’s many ways a person can get “learnt”, and every which way is enlightening. Well maybe not through a crack pipe, but besides that everything is good.

Honestly, it’s freaking interesting to read and learn new things. I always liked to say that you can learn a lot about yourself from others. This is so true when it comes to writing. And when I talk about writing, it’s not just novels or peer reviewed studies. I’m talking about lyrics to songs, poems, blogs, comics and anything where a person can string some words together and make those words mean something.

I’ve always been inspired by writers that can make me laugh. Whether that’s songwriters like Fat Mike from NOFX or Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus from Blink 182 (or Mark from Blink 182 and Tom from Angels & Airwaves. Seems like Tom let his love for ETs spread like fire. Somedays I think his head went “To The Stars”). Anyways, I could probably name some authors but right now I’m at a loss for them. The only one I can think of right now is Don Cherry. I’ve read all his books. I’ve probably watched all the Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Ems. I know with some of his books Ron MacLean helps him put his thoughts into words, but the thing I love about Grapes is that his personality really shines in his writing. I think that is awesome. He’s hard hitting, truth speaking, thought provoking, and downright entertaining! He’s not afraid to go on Coach’s Corner and speak his mind about anything. It takes balls to do what Grapes has been doing on Coach’s Corner for years! Like being an advocate for fighting in a society that is ruled by soccer moms that always ask to speak to your manager over a little technical error, and PC Principals that run off to their safe spaces when they get into a disagreement about the importance of Christopher Columbus in the world's history. The things Grapes says can get him in a lot of hot water with fans, the media, and at times, even his bosses. But he keeps talking and saying what needs to be said. And let me tell ya, that’s why many of us Canadians, like myself, love Grapes! He’s inspiring. In my opinion, yes he’s screwed up in the past saying things, but regardless, Grapes is a true class act and I think we should all aspire to be a little like him.

That’s why back when I was a little guy and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always use to say, “Whatever Don Cherry is. That’s what I want to be!” I know it sounds cliche, but let me tell you something… it’s not just true… ITS DAMN TRUE that I wanted to be like him! I always wanted to build myself up to the point where I could say whatever the hell I wanted to say, how I wanted to say it, without having to think twice, and by doing so, building an audience that will listen to it. I wanted to have a voice that didn’t blend in with the crowd. I wanted to have a voice that stood out from the crowd. I didn’t want to turn into another Joe Blow that gets his kicks from staying up all night writing songs about the people that he thinks are gay. I couldn’t stand to be that guy. I wanted to be one of the quiet guys that when he does speak, people listen.

For the most part, over the years, I think that has helped form my writing style. I try to keep things “real”. Breaking the fourth wall is one of my specialties. I find more and more, when I read my blogs, that they sound more like me cutting a bomb ass wrestling promo more than me just writing. And I take pride in that, because if the people that read my work can find a way to invest themselves into what I’m writing about on that given day, I did my job right. My job is to entertain. My job is to be thought provoking. My job is to be the silver lining in this thing we call “life”. If that means scrambling some words together to make my readers laugh or to make my readers smile, so be it. After all, I think my writing persona is a lot like conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. Okay, well I’m not fear mongering, but I do see my writing as being animated, straight shooting, funny, outrageous, and thought provoking. Although, I’m not screaming, “THE FRIGGIN’ GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING CHEMICALS IN THE WATER TO TURN THE FREAKING FROGS GAY!” I don’t use phrases like “I’m telling you folks”, but I do like to rant and I do think I can do a great job at it. And if ya rant well, in the entertainment business that equals money, laughs, and smiles! All in a day’s work, right? Besides, it’s never too early to spout, “What’s the story morning glory?” Because, after all, everybody wants to spend another sunny afternoon walking to the sounds of their favourite tunes. So, I thought, “Hey why can’t I be the voice of everybody’s favourite news?”

That’s why I’m going to school to become a journalist. And maybe with a little luck, one day become a motivational speaker. Over the past few years, I’ve learned that good writing doesn’t just come from a sound mind that knows how to work their way around a keyboard. It comes from experience. Talking to people. Being put into new situations. Learning more about yourself. Learning more about the world. You have to look outside of your realm of consciousness and breathe in the air of obscurity and the unknown. That is how you become a better writer. Quite frankly, that is one of the main reasons why I write. You never know what’s waiting out beyond your door, because the world is meant to be a place for you to explore. Put it this way, if you already think you’re in Heaven, why not live it up a little? Mingle with the angels. Make a new friend. Sport a new trend. Offend a loose end.

So why do I write? I write because I love to. I write to make people’s days better. I write because it’s my gig. I write, because maybe, if writing can help me out in my journey of self-discovery maybe it can help somebody out in theirs. I write because Fuq Boi Fashions can only support so many people. I write because it’s my passion, and it’s something that I plan to dedicate my life to. Life is too short to last long, so why not spend it doing what I love? Why not make people laugh, smile, and feel entertained? After all, no matter what, life's a lesson, why wait to learn it when I'm through?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steelers vs. Patriots - A Profitable Ending

BY: CHRISTIAN HOLMES ( @HOLMESYWRITES ) Check out my columns on Last Word On Hockey / Last Word On Sports Steelers tight end Jesse Ja...